Friday, June 15, 2012

The start of something

I have been thinking of beginning a blog for some time now. Normally, I dislike blogs and I've never quite understood the point of having a space where one professes the inner margins of his/herself. I find it excessive. Lately, however, I have been dreaming of a space where I can offer up my words and perhaps someone will locate me there inside them. In college, I experienced a subtle shift where I became introverted and quiet. A very dear friend once told me: "whenever you feel like taking up all the space (there's infinite amounts), becoming big and filling it with your grace or whatever else you feel like, I hope you do." Over the past two years, I have felt myself grow and expand in ways I never would have thought possible and now I choose to be LOUD.

I have been dancing since I was 3 1/2 and for what feels like an eternity. Much of my existence and identity as a person has been tied to dance. I will always be a dancer and I truly believe this. I have had ambitions of returning to school for some time, but could never decide on the appropriate next step. I have considered careers in teaching, arts administration, non profit management, and art therapy, but continue to return to one: social work. It is with a profound sense of urgency that I seek to put my vision and ideals into practice in order to create a new kind of choreography; one that isn't about art or steps or movement, but people. In September, I will being work on my Masters of Social Work at New York University. How I got to this point is a very long story and I feel that I am only beginning to access the words that make-mold-shape-tell it.

This fall will encompass many things: endings, beginnings, expansion, realizations, endurance, determination, questions that may or may not have answers, and a fear of the unknown. Simply put: it is also a continuation, for we are always in the process of becoming...

I am terrified of this next step and yet I fully embrace the numerous possibilities and potential outcomes. Even if I fail, I will know that at least I have tried. I do not for a moment pretend that I could have gotten this far without the unwavering support and friendship of many individuals - thank you. And mama, thank you for all that you are, all that you have given me, and for allowing me to explore-dream-discover...always.

In the meantime, I can feel my spirit wanting to soar.


2 comments:

  1. This is it! You will be filled with even more greatness, and you sill soar so, so high. We are all believing in you and we are all here to lift you back up if you happen to waiver. Such a good dream! Keep trusting! xoxo Emily

    ReplyDelete
  2. Emily,
    Thank you for being so incredibly supportive of me in this next step! I look forward to sharing some of my experiences with you. Enjoy the rest of the summer! xo, L

    ReplyDelete